Solenoid coils: An essential component of switching and proportional valves
Solenoid coils are electromechanical components that convert electrical energy into mechanical forces. By generating a magnetic field, they control the movement of valve spools and thus regulate the flow of fluids in various systems.
In combination with switching and proportional valves, the coils enable precise control and optimization of hydraulic processes. In this article, learn what exactly makes solenoid coils an essential component of switching and proportional valves. We also reveal how we can support your company with high-precision solutions for hydraulics.
What exactly are solenoid coils?
Solenoid coils play a key role in controlling and regulating fluids in hydraulic systems. At the core of their operation is the conversion of electrical energy into mechanical forces. This is done by generating a magnetic field when electric current flows through the wire of the coil.
By means of the pole tube and armature, the magnetic field influences the movement of a valve spool, which is responsible for regulating the fluid flow.
By selectively switching the current in the solenoid coil on or off, the position of the valve spool can be precisely controlled. This enables the fluid flow or influences its direction. This provides sensitive control over the flow and direction of fluids in a system.
The function of solenoid coils in the compact overview
- Solenoid coils generate an electromagnetic field in the actuating system (coil, pole tube, armature).
- The electromagnetic field causes the valve spool to move.
- The direction of flow of the medium is changed by the valve spool.
- When the current is switched off, the valve returns to its initial position by means of a return spring.
- In proportional valve systems, the solenoid coil precisely controls the valve opening.
- Fluid flow can be varied in proportion to the current in the solenoid coil.
- Solenoid coils allow infinite adjustment of fluid flow.
What tasks do solenoid coils perform in hydraulic valves?
Solenoid coils are an integral part of modern hydraulic valve systems and perform crucial functions. The main task of the coils is maximum precise control and regulation of the fluid flow. In actuation systems for switching valves, the solenoid coil is used to generate an electromagnetic field.
The magnetic field acts on the armature and the plunger of the valve. This causes the valve spool to move against the action of the return spring. The result of this movement is a change in the direction of flow of the medium. As soon as the electric current flowing through the solenoid coil is switched off, the valve automatically returns to its initial position. This is ensured by the force of the return spring.
In actuation systems for proportional valves, the solenoid coil has an even more differentiated task. Here, controlling the current flowing through the coil allows precise control over the valve opening. This allows the fluid flow to be precisely matched to the specific requirements of the application.
For users, this means that the flow can not only be turned on or off. It can also be varied continuously and proportionally to the current in the solenoid coil. This offers engineers and technicians a high degree of flexibility in designing and optimizing hydraulic systems.
Typical applications of solenoid coils in hydraulics
Solenoid coils perform various tasks in hydraulics in the field of control and regulation of fluids. One of the main applications of solenoid coils is in solenoid-operated valves - often referred to as solenoid valves. These valves allow precise control of the flow of hydraulic fluids by activating or deactivating the solenoid coil.
As electric current flows through the solenoid coil, a magnetic field is created that attracts a metallic armature. This opens or closes the valve. This extremely fast process makes it possible to precisely control fluid flow while protecting the mechanical parts of the system.
A typical application of solenoid coils in hydraulic technology is their use in hydraulic pumps and motors. In both systems, the solenoid coil is used to precisely control the pressure and flow of fluids (mostly oil). The result is significantly higher efficiency and performance of the overall system.
For several years, solenoids have been an integral part of feedback systems in modern hydraulic systems. Sensors record data such as pressure, flow rate or temperature and transmit this information to a control unit.
This processes the data and sends corresponding control signals to the solenoid coils to make adjustments in real time. This allows tasks such as the synchronization of multiple cylinders or the control of motion sequences in machines to be performed precisely and efficiently.
Coils for electromagnetically operated valves from ARGO-HYTOS
Solenoid coils from ARGO-HYTOS are available with a wide range of possible coil voltages and a broad selection of connectors and connection options. The high-performance technical components are designed to be extremely robust against mechanical damage.
With their double-insulated copper wire on a plastic core and embedded in a steel housing, the coils can be used in demanding environments. A silicone seal further protects the coils from moisture and dust ingress.
Another smart feature of ARGO-HYTOS coils is that they can be rotated around the longitudinal axis. This allows the plug position to be adjusted conveniently and without major assembly effort. The solenoid coils are particularly suitable for valves that bring about a change in the direction of flow of the pressure fluid - for example, directional control valves or poppet valves.
Rely on our solenoid coils specially designed for electromagnetically actuated valves and benefit from a whole range of technical advantages:
- Variety of coil voltages: With a wide range of possible coil voltages, the right solution is available for every application.
- Flexible connectors and connection options: The coils have an extensive selection of connectors and connection options for flexible integration into various systems.
- Interchangeability: The solenoid coils are easy to replace with a few simple steps if required, which facilitates maintenance and repair work.
- Rotatability: solenoid coils can be rotated around their longitudinal axis, allowing the connector position to be adjusted according to the application.
- Robustness: Solenoid coils from ARGO-HYTOS are designed to be particularly resistant to mechanical damage. This ensures reliable function - long-term and sustainable and even under harsh operating conditions.
- Quenching diode: Some coil models are equipped with an integrated quenching diode or free-wheeling diode.
Valve technology from ARGO-HYTOS with solenoid coils
- Logic valves such as the proportional directional control valve SD2P-B4 from ARGO-HYTOS are equipped with 12 V or 24 V DC solenoid coils. The solenoid coils can be rotated 360 degrees, which makes positioning the plugs much easier.
- The SD3E-A2 directional control valve is equipped with solenoid coils that are interchangeable within the ROW/RPE3-04 product line for significantly easier repair.
- With the new One4All explosion-proof solenoids, customers get unparalleled hydraulic performance in all hazardous areas and temperature classes.
Solenoid coils from ARGO-HYTOS: Best performance in powerful hydraulic systems
Solenoid coils are at the heart of modern hydraulic systems. The inconspicuous electromechanical components efficiently convert electrical energy into mechanical movement. In this way, they enable the precise control of hydraulic valves. In combination with electromagnetically actuated valves, they regulate fluid flow and thus optimize operation in a wide variety of industrial applications.
Of particular note is their ability to provide extremely sensitive control in proportional valves, allowing stepless adjustment of fluid flow. We would be pleased to advise you in a personal conversation about the various applications and advantages of our solenoid coils and valve technology. Contact us now for further information and advice!